Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Last weekend

Funny how much time goes by before you realize you haven't written anything and it might be a good idea to sit down and jot something down....anything. So after a weird last few days, I figure I'll sort out what's been going on diet wise, or rather, lifestyle wise.

We went out to dinner at this fancy Italian place Friday night and then hit the downtown for a couple of drinks afterward. I was planning to have Chicken Parmagiana but at the last minute decided to go with lasagna. I know, not the best decision but how often does one get lasagna? And I did order a salad for an appetizer instead of what I really wanted which was garlic bread. So after dinner, we wandered downtown and settled in at this place that featured a pianist and a guitarist playing crowd favourites. I had a couple of light beers before we left and came across this dessert place.

Now, we had been talking about these dessert eateries since going to Vancouver in April and visiting one. If you've never been, they feature a variety of cakes and pies displayed in a nice cold showcase and you can purchase a slice of whichever dessert catches your fancy for sit in or take out. I settled on a banana cream cake while Red went for some chocolate mousse thingy that was to die for. For some reason, neither of us were overly concerned with the calories that night, we had decided we were going out and we were going to enjoy ourselves. None of this asking the chef to alter the meal to avoid certain calories, or asking for vinegar instead of salad dressing, or avoiding the bread. We decided that since it felt like we hadn't eaten anything substantial in what seemed like weeks, we were going to just let it alone.

Saturday wasn't a very good day though. We decided to see a movie since we were bored so we took in a matinee. In recent months, we've been pretty good about avoiding the concession stand but for whatever reason, we ended up over at the pretzel place staring at 2 delicious looking cheese pretzels. After a bit of debate, we went for it. I know Red was hungry and we had decided on subs for dinner, but again, we just let it go. I wanted fries so I picked up some, with gravy I might add, and we sat down for the movie. Afterwards, it was sub time and the rest of the evening was fine.

Sunday wasn't horrible but the Def Leppard concert was on and I decided to have a few drinks before the show. After downing a few rum and diet cokes, we headed out. Of course, I was feeling pretty good and ended up purchasing some beers while there. So not a great day or weekend but I got back on track on Monday. I did step on the scale and I was only a pound over Friday's weight so I felt okay about that. Today, I did step on again because I had been doing rather well this week and was curious. I know what I said before about only weighing myself once a week but with all the indulgences, I had to know. Imagine my surprise when it read 199lbs. 199! I was shocked, however I did have a very light day Tuesday so I might be weighing light due to dehydration. We'll see on Friday when I step on for my official weigh in.

One thing I've noticed since I've been blogging, is that I can really see how I'm doing weight wise from week to week. I've always watched it but its so easy to lose track of how long you've been at a certain weight or how far you have, or haven't, come along during a certain amount of time. For instance, went we went to Vancouver in April, I was roughly 207lbs. I'm now about 200lbs give or take. That means that in the almost 4 months since then, i've only lost about 7lbs. But that's not true. I gained some weight after that which needed to be lost. Then we went to Niagara Falls which ended up costing me weight wise. So if you look at it that way, I've been battling to take weight off that I stupidly put on to begin with during these short periods of time. Not the best strategy to be sure and its slowing down the race to my goal weight. The nice part is, I can see the difference in my body, especially around my abdomen. Red has noticed it too and has been very supportive which helps.

One thing I had forgotten about the battle is the feeling of success and the added motivation you feel when you actually SEE the results. It seems like so long since I really noticed a change that encouraged me to continue with renewed vigor. But the past couple of weeks have been inspiring and despite this past weekend, I'm feeling pretty good about my weight. Onward and upward I say!

No comments: