Friday, August 8, 2008

Weigh in time...The week in retrospect

So its finally Friday. I can't tell you how happy I am to see the weekend here. Its been a short week considering the August Civic holiday on Monday, but for me, the week couldn't end quick enough. I mentioned before that Red was going to a retirement dinner for her aunt on Monday evening. That left me to my own devices and I planned on seeing The Dark Knight again. I had contemplated popcorn at the show but I also had to think about dinner. My guilt would not allow me to indulge in both so I made a decision. Not the best choice but it was something I felt I needed to do.

I'd been craving something chocolaty for a while, so I stopped at the drugstore across from the theater to see if there was something that might catch my eye. I intended it to be small, nothing outlandish, just enough to satisfy that craving and satisfy my inner fat guy who wanted to indulge. I settled on a small bag of peanut M&Ms. Since the movie is over 2hrs long, I went for a large diet Coke and figured that would be it. But something caught my eye. The theater we go to usually has various other food outlets besides the standard confection stand. There's a KFC/Taco Bell, New York Fries, Burger King, and a Wetzels Pretzels. It was the latter that caught my eye. See, most times when we go, they are out of pretzels and don't appear to be prepping any more. I fail to understand how I can get popcorn, candy, nachos, burgers, dogs, fries, ice cream and fried chicken among other things but never pretzels despite the fact that there is a pretzel franchise right there occupying a sizable chunk of real estate inside the theater. It astounds me and pisses me off royally.

Well I thought I'd just take a wander over, you know, just to see if Wetzel's would live up to their reputation for teasing us. Imagine my surprise when there were several, yes several, pretzels sitting there ready for consumption, and me on my diet, or lifestyle change to be more accurate. Now I did it to myself by going over and seeing, but they just looked so good and I was hungry. Besides, they NEVER have pretzels so I had to grab one out of principle. So yes, I had guilt over that and get this, it seemed tough and stale. Maybe a sign? I got out of the movie with my next mission in mind: pizza.

I had decided on pizza for dinner earlier since I was free that night and hadn't enjoyed any in what seemed like forever. I was due. So I stopped at our local shop and since they didn't have any slices available, ordered a small all dressed. I figured I'd just eat light the rest of the week. My goal for this week was to come in under 200lbs. I cheated Monday morning by stepping on the scale and saw 199.5. I figured it was a fluke since I was 201.5 on Friday and knew I had the rest of the week to make it up.

And I did. We ate light all week. I hit the gym each day this week. Even when I was really hungry, I stayed the course. I probably overdosed on the fruit but at least it was fruit. I did cheat and step on it yesterday just to see where I stood and it read 200lbs. I stepped on the scale this morning expecting good news. I'm not sure how to feel about what I saw.

Our bathroom floor is a bit lopsided so in order to get an accurate reading, you need to move the scale to a section of the floor tiles that are reasonably even and all four corners of the scale sit flat. I know this spot so I proceeded to slide it over and stepped on. 200.5lbs. Okay, I thought. I stepped off and back on. 201.5lbs. WTF!?! I stepped off again and moved the scale around one more time. Then I stepped back on. 201lbs. Okay, so 3 different weights in a matter of 2 minutes. Which weight is right? I know its only a pound of difference but it matters to me. Aside from Monday's indulgence, I was good. And I was 200 Thursday morning. So I figure I did lose a bit this week but I didn't hit my mark. I'm fine with that.

I would step back on tomorrow just to see what the difference might be but we are going out to dinner tonight to a nice Italian place and Italian is not calorie friendly. And I'm not going to spoil dinner by eating salad and soup. We don't eat out much so when we do, I'm going to enjoy it. I only brought fruit to work today so it will be a light day up until then and I can always go light again tomorrow to balance it out. See, its all about balance. You can have the foods you love, you just have to balance them out with smaller portions and cuts elsewhere. I'd love to have my cake and eat it too but its simply not in the cards. I've already lived that life and look where that got me.

Nah, I'm going to enjoy dinner tonight and I'll deal with it tomorrow. Goal for next week is 198-199lbs. I have confidence in that.

No comments: